The Blog and Ramblings of Greenman Photography and Imagery

Looking up from the Gutter to the Stars.

Now as I have mentioned I fall over quite a lot. Me and gravity have issues, steps, logs, slippery things, Non slippery things, safety flooring, grass, twigs, cats, dogs and fresh air, all seem to become frictionless when I am in the vicinity, resulting with me spending a fair amount of time on the deck. I have become quite adept at landing without causing too much damage, all them there funny fighting classes that I took many years ago taught me how to land without hurting myself when thrown, and the knowledge seems to have stuck. I can’t remember none of them thar quadratic equations or calculus things, but I sure do know how to break a fall.

Now spending all that time down on the floor has its advantages, If no one is looking and you are out in the boonies you can, if the floor is comfy enough take an impromptu nap, and I am a big fan of naps. I take several naps a day. In fact I’m so good at taking naps sometimes people don’t even know that I am napping and continue to drone on at me oblivious to the fact that I’m on a different planet. I have excellent drool control and have overcome the “chasing rabbits twitchy sleep running” that used to be a bit of a giveaway.

Another advantage of spending so much time on the floor is you get to see things that you would normally miss whilst striding cluelessly about up there in the “normalsphere.” You get to see things from a different perspective, trees and buildings “Loom.” Dirt and leaf litter take on an otherworldly atmosphere, and as for the humble toadstool, you’ve gotta be down in the shite to properly appreciate their true wonder.

Take for example the image “Golden Glow” below. There I was have a good old blunder around the woods oblivious to the hidden wonders in the undergrowth, when all of a sudden, “Gravity Vortex!” Mid air flying sensation, BreakFall, Thud! And there I was staring up at a tree stump crowned with a hoard of Sulphur Tuft toadstools. The thing is from my low angle they were right between me and the low afternoon sun, and they glowed. Wouldn’t have seen such a gorgeous sight from anywhere but my landing site.

Golden Glow Β©LeeThornberry 2010

The next image is of the same Sulphur tufts from a slightly different angle, not quite so glowy.

Sulphur Tufts

And the next image is of how you would normally see sulphur Tufts, Not glowy at all.

Sulphur Tufts

So my advice for finding alternative points of view for some photography on those days when nothing grabs you, is learn to breakfall and fling yerselves about a bit. It works for me πŸ™‚

Remember Children’s parties and funeral warm up’s a speciality!

36 responses

1. Amazing pics, I think I’d rather lie down gracefully though than flinging myself about.
    Images of a break dancing granny in the wood? ………nah! πŸ˜†

17/04/2012 at 11:16 am

• A lot of the time it take me by surprise πŸ˜€

17/04/2012 at 12:43 pm

2. zootshooter

Lovely post, your enthusiasm for scrabbling around in the dirt has inspired me to try and do the same, and also reminded me of a character that I remember coming across in Milton’s Paradise Lost; Mammon. I thought you might like this little quote that your post has echoes of:

“Mammon, the leasat erected spirit that fell
    From Heaven; for even in Heaven his looks and
    thoughts
    Were always downward bent, admiring more
    The riches of Heaven’s pavement, trodden gold,
    Than aught divine or holy else enjoyed
    In vision beatific: by him first
    Men also, and by his suggestion taught,
    Ransacked the centre, and with impious hands
    Rifled the bowels of their mother Earth
    For treasures better hid.”

17/04/2012 at 11:32 am

• Did he use Canon or Nikon . . . . Mammon ? Sounds like a Canon sort of fella πŸ˜€
      Cheer πŸ™‚

17/04/2012 at 12:45 pm

3. Nice and lovely warm tone!

17/04/2012 at 12:00 pm

4. Great shots. I have problems with gravity, but usually because I’m drunk! But I’ve often drawn funny looks from people for getting down on the ground (or sometime climbing up on things) to find new and more interesting perspectives when photographing. Don’t be afraid of a little dirt people!

17/04/2012 at 1:30 pm

• I am actually less likely to fall over after a few beers, which is a bit strange. Dirty photography Rocks! πŸ˜€

17/04/2012 at 2:25 pm

5. oneowner

I don’t mean to be disrespectful or make fun of the afflicted, but this put a smile on my face, even though I sometimes have the same problem with gravity. However, you and Mr. Nikon have taken the best advantage of a bad situation, I see. Makes me think Nikons are quite sturdy to withstand that kind of abuse.

17/04/2012 at 1:50 pm

• I’m used to being mocked, in fact I have been mocked by professionals in the past, and my mates are not the sort to take prisoners. Which is good cos I’m generally right back attem πŸ˜€ I did already break a D300 indoors indulging in still life, so the D700 is already a bit worried πŸ˜€ I’m sure Newton missed something with that gravity Malarky πŸ˜€

17/04/2012 at 2:23 pm

6. Do you have vertigo? (she says cutting swiftly to the point)

17/04/2012 at 2:00 pm

• No I hates foreign food πŸ˜€ No I have chronic arthritis which means I cant stumble, it generally all just goes straight in to fall mode, add that to the fact I am a natural born clutz and you get low angle photography πŸ˜€

17/04/2012 at 2:20 pm

7. Great fungus shots πŸ™‚ Love reading your posts as well… you write with a great sense of humor… made me laugh this morning!

17/04/2012 at 2:59 pm

• Cheers πŸ™‚ Always happy to spread some Grump πŸ˜€

18/04/2012 at 7:17 am

8. Nice shots. You seem like a fun guy… or should that be fungi? πŸ™‚

17/04/2012 at 3:32 pm

• Although some people think that I should be a Hung Guy! But they have no sense of humour πŸ˜€

18/04/2012 at 7:17 am

9. Ciao, great shots, the first really beautiful…can you eat these? just a thought if it’s free food! πŸ™‚

18/04/2012 at 8:46 am

• Nope unfortunately Sulphur Tufts are inedible, which is a shame as they are very common around here in late summer autumn.

18/04/2012 at 8:55 am

10. I love these shots and had to laugh to hear about your falling. I’ve had to make a rule for myself so that I don’t fall – do not look at the scenery and walk at the same time. If you want to look….STOP…and look.

19/04/2012 at 3:28 am

• Yep! Walking and looking is prob classified as multi tasking. I obviously am a bit rubbish at multi tasking πŸ˜€

21/04/2012 at 9:28 am

11. Love these mushrooms! The colours are so gorgeous. Great shots, I like your work!

21/04/2012 at 12:21 pm

12. Hilarious story. Great pics too.

22/04/2012 at 11:24 am

13. you must be a shoe gazer….beware of the trip. Fabulous photo’s

23/04/2012 at 9:58 pm

14. it is the wrong time of year..!

23/04/2012 at 9:59 pm

• It’s never the wrong time of year for flinging yerself about πŸ˜€ Yes this images were taken in 2010 about october time I think. There are still interesting lil fun guys about this time of year, And some nice tasty ones at that, the St Georges Mushroom and Morels. Ive fallen over a few already πŸ˜€

25/04/2012 at 7:48 am

15. karenw4487

Beautiful, I really love nature and being at one with it.

26/04/2012 at 9:25 am

16. Excellent pics and text, Lee – and I’m a big fan of naps too! Adrian

28/04/2012 at 3:31 pm

• Cheers Adrian. Naps should be mandatory, at least one per working day πŸ˜€

29/04/2012 at 7:48 am

17. Nice Work! Never seen mushrooms in such a beautiful way before.

02/05/2012 at 1:42 pm

• Get down in to the dirt then, tis a whole new world πŸ˜€

04/05/2012 at 9:01 am

18. It seems mean to say I am glad you fell over, but I am. Super shots.

08/05/2012 at 2:11 pm

• πŸ™‚ I’m used to it now. I eat lots of pies to add extra padding!

10/05/2012 at 5:32 pm